Where I'm From v2.5

I am From v.2.5  Summer 2018

I am from Lahm and Hingstman, Bauer and Maguth.
I am from Misty, Miss Prim, Tall Drink of Water...Chmerrill
From 40 degrees N and Exit 36 and second-to-last stop on the Port Washington line.
I am from Long Island Sound, the Delaware River, Great Salt Bay, Waihe'e Stream.
I am from Narrowsburg, PA and Judith’s Fancy, USVI. From  Irving Ave., Brooklyn and Waihe'e Valley where the river comes up quickly so ….maka'ala 'oe! I am from evening swims perched on the diving board on warm summer nights; falling in pajamas and all to be  scooped up and rocked in a towel sling.

I am from "be home before dark" and "take your brother". From lentil soup with hotdog slices and sauerkraut strewn with caraway seeds draped over sizzling pork chops- fading meat memories. I am from the vegetable garden that grew so much more than food, a lifetime of hands in the earth.

I am from the middle, from the lone-female throne. From the irony of "can I please have a sister?" to eventually growing 4 powerful female bodies inside my own.
I am from darkness and light, desperation and joy, exuberant youth and sturdy middle age. I am from the curious sensation of disequilibrium when the wall I've been pushing against with all my might suddenly gives way and "sole surviving parent" becomes where I'm from; a place where I wear my bike helmet and go for check-ups.

I am from saddle-sore and sunburned. From "eat more plants" and "use less stuff". I am from self-inflicted challenge, from not taking the easy way - so I can always look back and gain strength for the next goal that lies ahead.

Comments