Stretching to feature the 'A' in STEAM

In planning for my unit plan, I am looking for ways to "try out" some of the arts integration strategies we learn at Kennedy Center for the Arts PD at my school. I am after all, the steAm teacher.  In the STEMS2 world, I emphasize 'aina in the acronym- integrating sense of place, garden learning (that which feeds!) and Hawaiian cultural perspectives. At Pomaika'i, however, we are "strongly encouraged" to flex ourselves into the various arts strategies.  This is not a comfort zone for me.  Fortunately, that also means I have the chance to humble myself and reach out to the Strategy Keepers- featured faculty who have incorporated the arts strategies into their teaching practice and been evaluated by their peers.
Initially, I thought about working with the tableau- where students make meaning through stop-action, freeze-frame, moment-in-time dramatization.
At the advice of the arts integration curriculum coordinator, I sought the advice of one of the grade 5 teachers- SY. This was a good opportunity for me to build some relationship with a teacher who often seems flustered and overwhelmed when we have grade level meetings around STEAM planning. She asks things like, "so what is it the kids have to know?" and is not very comfortable with the idea of general direction and facilitation and letting the student inquiry guide our teaching and learning path.
In my meeting with SY she critiqued my text cards and gave me some good feedback about phrasing and reading comprehension levels. She offered a comment that the text seemed to suggest movement and that perhaps I should consider an 8-count shape-move-shape dance strategy.  She suggested one of the fourth grade team as the best resource on that strategy.
The next day I took my revised text cards and went to seek the advice of JO, a grade 4 teacher with whom I have collaborated well and frequently on several STEAM integrated units. He helped me with student prompts, how to work with students to pull parts of speech out of the text and helpful strategies for co-constructing the essential criteria based on ways the students have worked with this strategy before.
Armed with my cards and my thought-provoking "Think About It NOW" opening question, I welcomed the first of 4 classes into the STEAM room.
The great thing about the way our lessons work is I get immediate feedback and can make adjustments on the fly as I repeat the basic lesson idea several times throughout the day. Things started well and got even better. SY brought her cala two days later to show me how they had thought through each motion and how it related to the text.
I took away some humility in how creatively these teachers work to make learning an integrated, whole-child experience.  I also have a bit more confidence bringing these teaching and learning strategies into my spring unit.
Turns out 'A' in STEAM can also be for Approach, Assist, Assimilate-I am grateful for the push and stretch of this work.  I know I will be a better teacher and probably a better co-worker because of it.

Comments