Greunewald and Others- Rattling my Brain!

Our first experience with Gruenewald in Foundations of Place: A Multi-Disciplanary Framework for Place-Conscious Education ledft me with a lot of questions.

I came back to re-read the article this week while working on my presentation for Multi-Layered Sense of Place (a 5 minute presentation that took me about 5 hours to build!). I felt like I needed to make more notes, pull out sections that felt like they had the most meaning, cross-check some of the cited work and just spend more time with this guy's ideas.

I've attached my notes as a little walk down my cognitive path- as I get more involved int his week's reading The Best of Both Worlds- A Critical Pedagogy of Place I can see that there is a lot of research and serious scholarship behind this thing I've gotten myself into.

Searching for other sources to see who has worked with some of these theoretical constructs in Hawaii led me to a very interesting interview with Ku Kahakalau of the Hawaiian charter school movement.  "Pedagogy of Aloha"...Check it out: https://youtu.be/uV7jQD-JFOY  AND, what is really cool?!, you can view the page ma 'olelo Hawai'i





Comments

  1. Wow Merrill! I feel so much smarter for having read this blog post. Your notes are so amazing! I think I am going to teach my students to use some of the strategies like the thought bubbles and speak bubbles. I am listening to the pedagogy of aloha right now so interesting about Big Island charter school evolution!
    I know this is my private old blogger account I am replying from, we used to have a blog when we first moved here. I am too tired to log out and try to make my Hawaii edu account work, too many email accounts!
    This weekend Rodrigo will be over on Maui for the Pailolo!
    I am inspired by your beautiful, deep work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment