Where I'm From

Where I’m From                                                                      Merrill Ranken

I am from Misty, Miss Prim, Tall Drink of Water.
From 40 degrees N and Exit 36 and “Pawt Washington next stop, all cars will platform”.

I am from Narrowsburg and Judith’s Fancy, Irving Ave. and Stonytown Rd. with a steep, icy driveway dotted with tiny holes from melting salt, the world filtered through a spider’s colorful web. I am from evening swims perched on the diving board on warm summer nights; falling in… and scooped up in a towel sling.

I am from Marlboro red cigarettes burning in ash trays along side cups of instant coffee. From lentil soup with hotdog slices and sauerkraut strewn with caraway seeds draped over sizzling pork chops- fading meat memories.

I am from Lahm and Hingstman, Bauer and Maguth and from Max, Christmas, Bongo, Stormy, Bushwick and many others delivered to my arms amid red, watery eyes and sneezes.

I am from the middle, from the lone-female throne. From dollar bills long forgotten and found amid the dollhouse drawers. The sound of Jesus Loves Me in the basement repeated weekly by Mrs. Schmidtt and the bounce of basketballs and buzz of timing clock on the floor above, this is where I am from.

I am from the bits of conversation and faint melodies through the air vents, from headlights turning off the Boulevard and bumpy rides on gym mats down the stairs to brown and orange carpet- Stuck in the Mud.


I am from the gentle rumble of the garage door slowly rising, opening in welcome. Dad is home.



Comments